Wednesday, March 16, 2011

And Six Months Later

Well, time just flies doesn't it? ... So much has changed in my life. First, I got a job in Louisiana and am now living down in the lowland south, or "the wasteland." I like my job well enough, but I miss being in the mountains so much. I miss being an easy drive away from my family. In addition to the regular social problems when one moves (i.e., I don't know anyone), the town is not so great. It has all the disadvantages of the city (e.g., factory stink, traffic, crime) without many of the advantages (e.g., sidewalks, good food, arts). In short, I don't like it here.

A very nice, unexpected distraction is that I'm in a new relationship with an old boyfriend, K. He lives in Texas so we visit often. Although the drive is somewhat long, I enjoy the drive to visit him. First, it feels so much shorter than driving in the mountains- presumably because the roads are flat and it feels less stressful to me. Secondly, I pass through Houston, and I enjoy seeing the city from afar, painted against the night sky. There is something wondrous about a city full of light perched on the horizon.

Daisy is adjusting to her new life, but I imagine that she is homesick as well. She has made a new friend, however, with K's little doggie. After 2 or 3 visits they finally started playing with one another. It's so sweet to see Daisy as big as she is with a 10lb dog; she's so playful yet gentle.

So that's a snapshot of our little life right now.... I'm really going to try to be more active this time!

No comments: