Saturday, February 7, 2009

Random Thoughts

I don't know if it's just me getting older and taking notice, or if the world really is in a slump right now. On the one hand, I believe that we are living on the cusp of a Great Historical Transition, like the 17th century. On the other hand, I don't know what that has to do with murders in Blacksburg, xenophobes, hateful politicians, contaminated peanut butter, and the like. Is it all simply symptomatic of these larger changes?
The thing is that I try to look around for the good things, for the positives, and feel a little lost. I don't know what good things look like. I mean, things are going well in my life right now. But the world around me feels a bit off. I have a sense that there's something going on behind the scenes that I can't see. Or perhaps since things are going well for me right now, I feel guilty. Shouldn't we be tightening our belts? Looking for work in California fruit groves? Or another country? I met a woman the other day who had been out of work for 2 months and she was positively cheerful. 
Perhaps anxiety about the state of the economy has me in its grip. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. But I think it won't drop. Things will keep on their trajectory to the next Great Age while some wail and gnash their teeth against change. And the rest of us learn how to get along with one another...

No comments: