Friday, June 12, 2009

On Screen Doors

I miss having a screen door, a wooden one that goes "whack" when it slams shut behind you. I miss how my papaw stood at the back screen door and gave scraps to stray kitty cats. I miss how screen doors opened onto high, wide porches where people sat on porch swings on a humid summer day. I miss rubbing alcohol on my bug bit legs which I propped up on the porch banister. I miss how you could smell hot asphalt and mowed grass coming through the screen door as you watched Days of Our Lives on a polyester couch. I miss the sounds of a passing truck's radio seeping through the screen door.

2 comments:

D. Jain said...

I can hear that "whack" sound right now! Very evocative post. It's sad when you think about the times gone by and people, places, and experiences you'll never see again. Today I was listening to the story on NPR about the switch from analog TV, and I felt weirdly sad that my kids won't see or hear "snow" on a TV that isn't getting a good signal.

mom said...

hmmm.yeah things do change some BUT,
cori b has a door like that.
we still have the asphalt and the mowed grass smell and the occasional music machine!
i heard a bullfrog at the river recently and the cries of the new baby crows we've never had before!
home's a callin'