Sunday, March 1, 2009

My future

I've just been speaking with a colleague about our respective futures and what it will be like to have to move from Blacksburg. On the one hand I'm looking forward to it. I'm ready to leave this place and start fresh somewhere. 

On the other hand, I really love my home and the ease with which me and B live in our dream house. It seems silly to have to give it up just for the sake of academia's "rules" about where you do your work. I've never understood why one is automatically disqualified from a position at their alma mater just because. If there are no available jobs that's one thing. But if I'm the best qualified applicant it just doesn't make sense that I shouldn't be able to get a job here.

And then there's the possibility of not finding a job anywhere. Which is the scariest thing of all. But I suppose I'll be ok, anyway. As far as my work goes, I'll always be doing that because it's what I've always done. I cannot help but be a scholar whether I'm employed as one or not!

No comments: